Monday, January 23, 2017

Selfish Art


Today was a warm day for winter; a gentle, steady rain continued to fall from the overcast sky as it has had a wont for doing this week. It was perfect weather to meet a new Scotch, so I went downtown to meet a friend for a drink.

It's getting harder to find new places that have single malts I haven't tried, and especially since I've decided to stick with the peaty ones. Luck was on my side this evening though, as we decided to visit Commonwealth Restaurant and discovered a lovely collection of Scotches.

It was a quiet evening at the bar, and my friend and I basically had Erek the bartender entirely to ourselves. I was happy to learn that they usually carried Talisker, even if he wasn't there this evening.

There were some great songs playing on the radio at the bar, the volume just barely audible so the music almost seemed dream-like. This was fitting as several of the songs were versions we had never heard of otherwise familiar tunes, adding to the surreal effect.

It was a good night for music overall, as later that evening I discovered Noah Gundersen while listening to the radio on my way home. I was so captivated by his voice, lyrics, and melodies that I stayed in my car long after I parked, just to hear the show until the end and find out who it was.

The last song he played in the set, I thought fitting to share here. It's a song about songwriting, meaning, and doubt. If you find yourself in a rainy day sort of way, find a blanket, pour a dram, and learn of the sincerity of Selfish Art:


At Commonwealth, I noticed two bottles of Ardbeg right away; I recognized Corryvrecken who I had tasted months ago, but was unsure of the other. It turned out to be the 10 year; I had met that one briefly at the end of one night during Thanksgiving holiday, but I felt a proper meeting was due.







Erek the bartender

 

&

 

Ardbeg 10






The strong peaty nose was evident even before the glass reached my lips. It was a deep meaty smoke scent, that really I've only found in a few others thus far. First taste revealed a solid character. He was balanced with spice and smoke, and just strong enough.  Adding a bit of water softened the nose a bit, but the meatiness of the smoke was still there. The flavors blended some, but didn't really change his personality. A little more of the brine came forward, and I realized that he had all those qualities that I loved. As I sipped this Scotch and chatted with my friend, I realized I was going to have to put him side-by-side with Talisker sometime. Ardbeg 10 is that good.

Noah's lyrics in the song above ask "Am I giving all that I can give, Am I earning the right to live?" I often wonder this myself, and the sentiment has also visited conversations with this particular friend before. We talked of many things from politics to agave plants. We've each had our tough times in recent years, but have decided that 2017 is the official "Year to Make Shit Happen."  Solemn vows such as these - sworn while sipping whisky on rainy days in quiet bars with friends - these vows have a powerful momentum.


Erek's preference in Scotches falls on another part of the Island - the Highlands. I asked him what his current favorite was, and he offered me a wee sip of Glenmorange Quinta Ruban.


I love the sleek elegance of this bottle for its shape and it's classy black and gold label. The whisky has a pinkish hue, which reflects its name, as Ruban is Gaelic for ruby. He had an airy, light nose and flavor. Sweet for sure, and probably seemed more so in contrast to Ardbeg. There was a slight medicinal flavor and I suppose if I have time to converse with him longer I would discover many more subtleties to this handsome Highland.



Having worked up a hunger, we decided to go across the street for some dinner. Outside we we happened upon two lovely women looking striking against the shiny evening. It was a photo-op we had to take advantage of.



I had never been to Draft Taproom before and the food was suprisingly, amazingly delicious! I had the brussels sprouts with spicy aioli, and my friend had the pierogies. With a neat system of serve yourself taps and a wide selection of brews, it's truly a great spot that I will have to visit again.

Rain offers a great amount of poetic potential to an evening. What is dull can turn to shine; what is sharp may be softened; and on every surface from walls to ground - light is reflected, insipring reflection.


My friend and I said our goodbyes and headed off into the drizzle laden night. I walked to my car, serenaded by the rhythmic fall of raindrops on cobblestone, thinking on what lies ahead, but happy in the moment.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment