Sunday, June 5, 2016

Talisker Storm


Hello and Welcome.

This is a journey to find the perfect Scotch, recorded for any who wish to come along.

Perfect is a daring term, I know, but I have long since realized that "perfection" is fluid. A perfect blue sky is changing by the second, and the sky that is perfect on a day when you're feeling hopeful and adventurous would seem less so on a day that you are daunted and heartbroken. For the latter mood, a stormy sky might be more perfect...


Either way, it illustrates the point: perfection is possible, but we've been defining it wrong. Without the flow, without the growth, there is no perfection. Nothing static is perfect.

I will tell more of my story as the days go on, but for now all you need to know is this:

I have decided to search for the perfect Scotch instead of the perfect partner. I have recently been introduced to a lovely single malt called Talisker, and he is very enticing. This whole Scotch tasting business is very new to me, but I'm enchanted by the mysterious ritual of it all, and so my journey begins...

I have just discovered this song, and if you have a glass of Scotch yourself, I invite you to play this song while sipping and savoring, and may a beatiful truth you have been hiding from become clear.

Dust to Dust by The Civil Wars

And now back to that stormy sky...   We've had a lot of them this spring here in Virginia. The Talisker I tasted the other day was Talisker 10, but I had to see what else was out there before deciding which would have the honor of being my very first bottle of Scotch.

As I explored all the options at the liquor store, I kept coming back to "Talisker Storm." It was more money than I intended to spend, but sometimes you just have to take a leap.


I corked the bottle and gently brought it to my nose; it was smoky, almost too much so...reminded me of smoked meat. I poured a glass, and sipped, catching embers of scents that felt familiar, like the other Talisker. This one was more intense, but I liked it. When I added the touch of water, the body of the spirit flooded up to fill whatever edge I might have thought was too harsh. Mmm...perfection.

So I am happy with this gentleman for now. But my dating life has taught me that what seems wonderful at first can often turn, and sometimes suddenly and without any reason. So I will not fully commit until I am sure. There are many more Scotches to meet, to sip, and to dance with my tongue before I will settle. I hope you join me on the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment