Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Uigeadail

The other evening I met a friend to catch up and have a wee dram. I hadn't intended to meet a new lad that evening, but as things unfolded, it turned out that I would...


One of the Ardbeg boys, Uigeadail was sitting unassumingly on the shelf; when I spotted him, I knew I had to meet him. The two other brothers I had met, Corry and the 10 year, also had the same alluring green bottle with celtic designs on the label. Each enticed me in their own way with the smoky sweetness I look for. The word among those who know them, is that Uigeadail is the best of the three.


In speaking with our bartender, Codi, I noticed a spectacular tattoo in progress on her arm. I didn't get a picture of it, but it was an outline of an impressive pirate ship. Codi explained to us that it was her own spin on a representation of her astrological sign of Pisces - related to the water, but not the typical waves or fish symbol. 
 

Ugigeadail means "Dark and Mysterious Place", and as such would probably have been well paired with the Black Water song from last time. However, sometimes even though things seem like they would fit together, life doesn't arrange them to be so.


In honor of our bartender's adventurous spirit, I share with you a song about Gráinne O'Malley, a fierce, legendary pirate queen from Ireland.  Find a spicy dram to dare and drink as you listen to this exciting version of  Óró, Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile.

 


Uigeadail's nose was smoky and strong, but all bonfire and wood, none of the meat smoke scent that some of the others have. I savored the smell for some time before I ventured a first taste, relishing the delicious peatiness. When I finally sipped a small bit, it was clear that Uige was strong, but the sweet spiciness rose up to match the smoky flavor in a wonderful dance of flavors.


A bit of water softened the peat to his nose, but only made the taste of him stronger. As he opened further, more flavors were revealed. I sensed a bit of salty sea in his nose, and tasted flits of peach and butterscotch on my tongue. He was quite a pleasure to be with.


My friend and I chatted about different things, and spent a good bit of time discussing the choices we make in life with regard to how we spend our short time here on this earth. So many get caught in the net of others' judgements and ideas, and waste so much precious time chasing things they don't even want. It can be hard to keep a steady course in this world when everywhere you turn people are telling you their own version of the truth.

The pirate ship on our bartender's arm is a perfect example of navigating the waters of other people's expectations. She took a common theme, but made it her own. That kind of thing is what we all need to do. Take the world in, and then put our own spin on things; listen to our own deepest truths, and then express them back into the world as best we can. It's something that seems to be harder and harder to do in this world, but is crucial for the health of our souls.

Even though the three Ardbegs all have similarities, and all come from the same distillery, they all have their distinct differences, strengths and weaknesses. As I got to know Uige better as the evening progressed I did notice a tinge of dry bitterness in the finish, but it wasn't harsh or unpleasant. He's a warm lad, peppery notes pervading the sweetness and the smoke. He's one I want to have alongside Talisker one day to see how close my affections for them are.

Uigeadail is a strong, spirited Scotch. I imagine it's the sort that a Pirate Queen would prefer, or any person fighting their way in the world, to stay true to herself.

Sláinte!




No comments:

Post a Comment