Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Witness


After partaking in the birthday cake and sampling the delicious spread of food, it was time to begin meeting the rest of the gentlemen. The first group of whiskies I met at the tasting was such a delight. Even if I wouldn't seek all of them out again, I absolutely enjoyed the first-meeting chats. I wonder if part of the pleasure in meeting these new lads comes from the lack of pressure. It didn't matter if I loved them or hated them because Talisker Storm was waiting at the end of the line for me. 

This is something I've contemplated often - how being sure of someone's presence can greatly increase your experience and enjoyment of life. I wonder if, at the end of relationships, that is not the worst of the heartbreak - losing that someone that you know will be there. Everyone can agree that it's easier to get through hard times when you have support, but not having someone to share your joy with can also bring a deep loneliness that is often unconsidered. 

A friend of mine once said to me, "we all deserve to have a witness to our lives." This simple act can be profoundly healing and powerful. It's a subtle thing, though, and hard to pin down. This new piece, by Danieldyemusic, distills the idea into a beautiful song and melody. So, if you're feeling alone, and suffering because of it - find your trustiest dram, take a listen to this song, and sink into solace, knowing - we all need a witness to our lives at times. Here is Gonna Need a Witness



Green Spot was next up. I had heard of this lad from Ireland, and almost met him while I was there a few years ago, but a convenient opportunity never really presented itself. He was attractive - a sporty green and white label that was simple, but striking.

He didn't have much of a nose, but his flavor spoke for itself. Mild and very warm, he had a bit of a bite that kept things interesting and made me smile - the Irish whiskies generally know how to spin a story. Despite this, overall I would say Green Spot was straightforward and no-nonsense. A whiskey you could count on, sure enough.

Next to meet was Spirit Lab Single Malt. Spirit is a local fellow who I've heard great things about in my travels. He had a mild nose and a warm, smooth personality. His creamy notes blended into his rich persona, exciting the conversation. At the end, he was lovely, if not very complex.

I was enjoying the atmosphere and the great stories and personalities that I was coming across, but it was getting late. Usually after meeting several new lads, my discernment skills start to fade a bit. So many different noses, notes, and nuances - it gets really hard to keep track! I knew it would soon be time to bring the evening to a close, but there were still a few lads I had yet to meet...and thank goodness I stayed to meet them.

Three fine Scotches, distinguished and alluring, stood holding their own at the end of the line. Macallan, Talisker, and Lagavulin. These were high quality lads, and they looked it. Clearly these three would be adored by most folks who were lucky enough to meet them.

I've always loved the Macallan 12. Although not a smoky Islay, that lad was impossible not to get along with. Traditional, respected, interesting, and delightful. This Classic Cut sibling was reputed to be entirely different. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was completely intrigued. Strong, with a bit of smoke, CC was much bolder than his brother.

I was glad to discover that he possessed the traditional and wonderful Macallan family qualities - he was grounded and balanced. Beyond that, though, he had so much more. The aspects that really stood out to me were his sweet and peppery nature and a bit of caramel that lingered, drawing me back for more.

I smiled lovingly at my beloved Talisker as I moved on to meet the final Scotch of the evening. Lagavulin distiller's edition - double matured. I wasn't expecting too much, but I was curious. I had met the usual Lag brother - the 16, and I wasn't impressed. When I met the younger 8 year, I really enjoyed him, but felt like he still didn't compare to Talisker.

The man who brought the Lagavulin to the party is a good friend of mine. It was the first time meeting this particular Scotch for both of us. So, we raised our glasses and toasted to a fine evening with food and friends. Sláinte!


The moment of truth had finally arrived. I approached him carefully, taking time to observe his nose. There were all the important elements - smoke, ash, peat, and an earthiness that I was pleasantly surprised by. He was sweet and smooth and I found myself getting swept up in the conversation. He was mature - balanced, and lovely. After adding a bit of water, he opened up, revealing a warm personality that felt a bit like coming home. As the event drew to a close and the last sips of the evening were whispered between us, Lagavulin brought to mind the nostalgic feeling of a deep enveloping embrace.

As we all said our goodbyes, I found myself wishing I had met the new Lagavulin at the start of the party. I reunited with Talisker and we went home together, but I was distracted. Thoughts of this wonderful new Lagavulin had me questioning my loyalties. I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd have to put the two of them side by side to really know how I felt. Until then, Talisker will keep me happy. No matter what, he is still a lad that never disappoints, and I am grateful to have him there.


No comments:

Post a Comment