Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Scotchtoberfest

A friend of mine is a fellow lover of Scotch. He's been tasting and exploring the expressions of this fine spirit for much longer than I have, and was one of my first introductions to the vast number of possibilities that become open to you once you enter this world. The last time he had a gathering I had not yet had my senses enlightened to the love of this liquor, but this time...things were different.

Just a small sampling of his collection scattered about the table...

The night before the party I had gone to a free concert at the IX Art Park and heard this amazing band for the first time. Their music was passionate, the vibe was thrilling, and the night was perfect. One of their songs that struck me especially is called Love is Better. A line from the lyrics says: "I don't know, but I think I feel alright, there's something about tonight that makes me crazy...I don't know, don't think about the future, don't wonder where it's going, I just hang on..." Take a listen to the feel-good in-the-moment groove of Baaba Seth:

I ended up meeting five new Scotches that evening. One I didn't really like, one I spent the most time with, and one was a mysterious stranger that I only crossed paths with just as I was leaving...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask was the first. A night like this, where I meet so many new whiskies in such a short period of time and when there are other things distracting me from giving them my complete attention, always presents a challenge for really getting to know a Scotch. But in many ways it's fun to not have to focus in, but just let the night flow as it will.  As Baaba Seth says, "don't think about it...just do it...do what you want."

I liked the Quarter Cask, but I remember feeling like he was different from my first memory of Laphroaig, just as I found with the Triple Wood a few weeks ago. It may be that I need to look up the original Laphroaig again and spend some quality time really getting to know him.
 


The next one I tried was Oban Little Bay. I remember liking Oban 14, except for an after taste that I just couldn't agree with. The Little Bay was pleasant all around. I  don't remember any specifics, but he didn't have that disagreeable flavor that I remember from the other Oban I met. I'd like to hang out with the Little Bay again.




When I arrived at my friend's house, folks were mostly gathered around a bonfire outside, and the moon had only just begun to rise. With a little prompting, our host graciously played us a few tunes on his highland pipes - to honor the birthplace of the sweet spirit that was our gathering's namesake, and to serenade the rising moon...

The night of the party was a full "supermoon" in Aries. From what I've read, the astrological implications of this involve an acknowledgement of the past influences for clearing out old energies and old wounds, and a welcoming in of  the "wildcard" rebirthing energy of this moon. Sounds like a perfect combination to me!



mmm..pumpkin spice
The next two Scotches I met were a hand-imported Scapa 12 year old cask strength, and Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year. The Scapa was strong, and that is always exciting, but I wasn't that impressed with him otherwise. The Balvenie intrigued me because of the Rum Casks, and I kept returning to him throughout the night for more conversation. 


My friend, apart from his many other talents, also is a creator of delicious alcoholic ice cream. I had the privilege of trying a brand new flavor that evening: pumpkin spice. Always a seasonal favorite, the characteristic flavor for the ice cream came from Baily's Pumpkin Spice liqueur.  It might have been the pumpkin spice, or it might have been the gourmet s'mores we had (complete with sea salt chocolate and cinnamon graham crackers), but later in the evening I started to taste cinnamon in all the Scotches I was meeting. It might not have given me the most accurate impression or representation of the different whiskies, but it was a beautiful thing.


The evening continued with laughter and stories. It was such perfect Autumn weather, with just a hint of chill in the air, a beautiful moon, a welcoming fire, and friendly, interesting folks to share it with.

As the moon climbed higher in the sky and the hour grew late, it became time for me to head home. As I was leaving, my friend brought out a special bottle that had been hiding in the back for most of the evening. This one was also hand carried from Scotland, and I had heard stories of the legend behind the distillery, but had never heard much else about the whisky itself.


It was such a small taste, as I was about to drive home, but it was so good, and I was very sorry that I couldn't stay and learn more about this one.

The night was wonderful, and I was so grateful as I drove home thinking of all the elements from the evening - the Scotch, the Song, and the Soul.


Perhaps it was the unfair advantage of the mysterious, and the allure of the just-out-of-reach...but of all the Scotches I tasted that night, Cù Bòcan is the one I most want to meet again. Hopefully I will have that chance before too long.






No comments:

Post a Comment