Thursday, October 6, 2016

Beeswing


As the season turns, so I return to the series of single-dram tastings with Laphroaig Triple Wood.


The equinox has come and passed, and the days grow cooler and shorter, turning fully towards Autumn. I feel like it's been a long time since I've spent time with any of the Scotches, so it feels good to meet someone new tonight. It's been longer still since I've met a new fella out and about. These single dram tastings at home are lovely, but I think it does take a certain element out of the experience. In a way it's like internet dating: I get to know the Scotches in many ways, but it's not quite the same as meeting them in the traditional way.

For one, I don't get to see the Scotches in their bottles; this doesn't affect my impression too much, but I do like to know how they present themselves. There is also the excitement of being in a different environment surrounded by strangers, but creating a little world unto myself, my Scotch-of-the-evening, and whatever chemistry may be sparked between us...

The song for tonight is called "Beeswing." For those who have known the spirit of restlessness, whether in themselves or those they have loved and lost...pour a dram and listen to this bittersweet timeless tale:


Triple Wood. At first, from the bottle, I smelled the sweet smokiness I love. It was good to be savoring it again. Once in the glass, his nose seemed a bit sharper. At first sip, he was warm and sweet. The smoky flavor was strong, and there was a bit of salty brine in the finish.

After adding a bit of water it opened him up so I could sense more smoke in the nose. He had a bright, exciting feel, and a light, fun sense to him. He was very enjoyable.

 

As the night went on, I noticed a strong creamy flavor in his sweetness. Throughout all there was that finish of salt or brine that became stronger the longer it lingered. It may be a flavor I have yet to name. Almost a bit bitter, it wasn't unlikable - just notable. 



I was surprised to not taste any of the cinnamon that was there in the first Laphroaig I had tried. There was definitely spice to the Triple Wood, but not distinct enough for me to identify. 

Overall, Laphroaig Triple Wood was a great Scotch, and such welcome company on this quiet Autumn evening. I'd love to spend another night with him sometime, and would probably choose him over many of the others I've met should we cross paths out at a bar somewhere.

I've been told there is gypsy blood in my family line. I cannot deny the restless spirit and longing for new experiences that comes with that. Often life forces us to choose between two desires: do we embrace the security of stability or take the risk inherent in freedom. A line from the song says:

"Maybe that's just the price you pay for the chains that you refuse.


It is left to us to decide if that is a worthwhile price. Or for folks like myself, who want the best of both worlds, perhaps there is a way to find a security in the freedom itself...


It will be good to get back to the nightlife scene out-on-the-town, but I won't pretend I didn't enjoy the comfort and relaxation of sipping Scotch in my room with the cool night breeze gently carrying cricket song past my window.

3 comments:

  1. I love this song more than lots and lots of things. Not quite everything, but almost. Sigh. Question: do your scotches ever embody female personae?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard it before actually, until the other day. I love it lots too. I think if I had any kind of romantic interest in females my Scotch might take on that nuance, but I don't, so male they stay.

      Delete
  2. Aha…makes sense.

    ReplyDelete