Thursday, September 29, 2016

Mabon - Part II: Craigellachie 13


In the last post I talked of the pleasure of familiarity. A continuation from that idea are the concepts of tradition, ceremony, and ritual. Our psyche craves these things, and in our modern world they become harder and harder to find. For our ancestors, however, these things were tightly woven into their existence.

Understanding the cycles of nature was essential to life. Their lives were very literally dependent on knowing when to plant and harvest, and when to store and conserve for the coming winter. The holidays that were celebrated in those days were intricately connected to the seasons, the sun, and the moon. Back in the day of oral tradition, stories of gods and myths were often the entertainment at gatherings and festivals. In a time when survival was much less certain than it is today, the familiar ceremonies and rituals such as those of Mabon brought a comfort to the people and a strength to their community.


One of the songs The Boys From That Band sang that night was written by Damh the Bard and pays homage to the old ways - Taliesin's Song:


Although our lives do not seem as connected or dependent on nature these days, there is still a yearning to feel that rhythm - of the seasons, the cycles, and the mystery.

For me, this journey to find the perfect Scotch is a type of a ritual, or perhaps a pilgrimage of sorts. I was delighted to combine my modern day ceremony with a tradition rooted in a much older time. Before nightfall, and the start of the festivities, I was able taste a new Scotch - Craigellachie 13.

He's a Speyside whisky, and of an unusual age apparently, as 13 is often considered unlucky. Another unusual thing about this guy is the use of "worm tubs" in the distillation. These long snake-like tubes help impart a deeper flavor into the whisky than one would expect for the age. 

This is an older process of distilling whisky, and most have moved on from it. It seemed fitting to be tasting a Scotch made in the way of an older tradition while honoring the equinox in an older way as well.

At first, before the water, I thought his nose light and fruity. I did sense a small bit of smoke, and on tasting I noticed an acidic bite. 


To be fair, I couldn't really focus on really getting to know Craig. I was so excited and distracted by the atmosphere and energy of the event that I didn't really give him my full attention. Also, the ball jars aren't the best tasting glasses I realize, so I may have to plan another day with him. He was very interesting though, despite my flighty mood. There was a flavor to him I couldn't really identify, but it was different than I have noticed in others. He was complex, but still maintained a light quality. It really was great to meet him.

When the elements of ritual, ceremony and tradition are at play it opens up a space for a certain kind of magic to happen. Perhaps it is a synergy where the things that are familiar help us find a sense of communion and grounding, while the pieces that are unique catch our attention and bring us joyful delight. It is in these moments, the best memories are made.

I experienced one of those moments at this festival: The weather was perfect with the awesome fire blazing at the center of a sand circle. A dozen or so drums were pulsing rhythms into the air, and the community of kind, accepting people were all around. My senses were heightened; the air had a slight chill, but the heat of the fire kept my muscles and my soul relaxed. At one point I had raised my hand up while dancing and felt a single rain drop in the center of my palm...it was beautiful.

I was outside dancing, with drums, fire and friends. So much perfect...and then one of the band folks left the drum circle to play a short tune on the bagpipes - and my perfect overflowed into exquisite magic. It was all of the elements, all of the things that I loved and were nourishing to my deepest self, all present in a glorious mix of comfortingly familiar, and excitingly distinct. 


It is moments like these that become the stuff of myths, legends and future fireside stories forever. Blessed Be

No comments:

Post a Comment