Monday, July 25, 2016

Shake Your Boogie



A good friend of mine scored VIP tickets to a local Blues Festival, and he asked me to come along. It was a hot and humid, typical summer day, so we went a little later in the afternoon. I was very much looking forward to the festival vibe: sunshine, fresh air, music, food vendors, dancing, and (because of our VIP status!) free beer!

When we arrived, the fun was in full swing. Crowds of people trying to stay cool, the smell of good food, and great music. The Jon Spear Band was one of the groups. Here's a song of theirs: Shake Your Boogie


 We decided to check out the beer offerings and then visit the vendors for dinner. Starr Hill was there, offering samples of some of their newer summer beers. As we tasted those, I looked to the right and realized there were more exciting things to taste also being offered.

 
  The Virginia Distillery Co. had a tent there, and they were giving out samples of their signature whisky. It turns out, that one of the folks pouring was an old friend of mine, Will Reed. Apparently he is now a Whisky Experience Ambassador for the distillery, which is very fancy sounding. He seemed to have full rights to the title too, because we started chatting about single-malts and Scotches, and I learned some very cool tidbits. I hadn't thought to write about this one, because you know, not a Scotch...but he explained that it actually is a single-malt Scotch from some undisclosed Highland distillery, with just a wee bit from somewhere else added, so as it is not allowed to be called single-malt. Their brand is very much an old world meets new idea. The whisky is brought over from Scotland, cloaked in mystery, and then finished in Virginia barrels. Suddenly, I was very intrigued.

 
I wanted to take the time to sit down with this new fella and see what he was like, but I was there with my friend, there was music to be danced to, and festival to be enjoyed. I tasted of course, and my first impressions were promising.

 
He was clean-cut (no smokiness) which I'm realizing is a Highland trait. Although I do think the perfect Scotch must have the smoky flavor, it's just not something the Highland lads have, so as I meet more of them, I've decided to be more open. Instead of focusing on what's missing, I'll tune in closer to their particular flavor, and allow myself to discover what endearing characteristics of theirs I may otherwise be missing.

This one was sweet and warm, with a hint of vanilla and a bit of spice. He went quickly though, and I wasn't able to give him my full attention while we were together, so I plan to see him again soon.


My friend and I returned to the festivities, and we also got to see a beautiful sunset.  It was delightful to meet this new whisky, so unexpectedly. A warm summer night, friends, music, dancing...and a little surprise...pretty much makes for the perfect night.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sherry if only every man was as sweet as your descriptions

    ReplyDelete