Sunday, July 31, 2016

Corryvreckan

I recently have discovered the band Albannach. Yes, I know I'm late to the game, but better that than never. Primal drumbeats, highland pipes, and haunting voices. This music beckons to something deep within my spirit, rich and bursting with life; something desperate to be expressed; ecstatically intense. Take a listen if you will, but oh don't you dare stay still! Albacadabra

The ancient vein that runs through this music harks back to times of old. Like the dervish dances of the Sufi, there is a whirling force that draws you in. I found it fitting that the whisky I tried tonight also pays homage to such a powerful, primoridal energy.



Ardbeg Corryvreckan offers this description of its name on the back of the bottle. Speaking of tragic romance, gods, and creation, Corry was building up high expectations.

Robert the bartender & Corry


He was spectacularly dressed - a green bottle (my favorite color) and a label featuring a spiral and celtic knotwork. I've always been a sucker for the spiral.

His nose was average: sweet, with a hint of smoke, and a slightly floral scent...although that may have been the bouquet of zinnias on the bar. At first sip I was overwhelmed with SPICY! This Scotch was hot. It took me a little while to get past that and see what other flavors were in store.

I added the drops of water, which mellowed the spice a bit. There was something a bit astringent in this one's flavor, and I also tasted peppery notes. He was sweet, but not overly so. I could tell that Corry was interesting, but he was so strong that I had hard time getting past that to see what else he could offer.

With such a noble and powerful story and namesake, I really couldn't help but like this Scotch. His strength, at 57.1%, was a bit much for me though. I felt it overshadowed his other characteristics, but I suppose that's the way of things when you're whirling in dervish-like trance. I'll concede that perhaps it's just not the right time for me. Maybe I just can't handle Corry's intensity because I'm still so new to this game. Still, I liked him and wouldn't turn him away in the future, should the currents of life ever pull us together again.


1 comment: