Friday, July 1, 2016

Lagavulin 16

There was no music I could hear at the bar tonight, but on the way home a new CD offered me a jazz song that I have not heard before. It's an old one, but new to me; it seemed fitting - a bittersweet memory, "Autumn Leaves."   Have a listen, but be warned: wistful thoughts of what could never be may float into mind...

Tonight was the first I've heard of some fairly standard distinctions among Scotches - regional descriptions. Two friends were joining me to meet a new whisky this evening, and the one has tried many Scotches in the past, but definitely has a favorite. He asked me if I prefer Highlands or Islays. I had no idea, but when he explained that Islay Scotches are generally the smokier, peatier flavored ones, I knew that way my style.

His favorite, he told me, is Lagavulin. It just so happened that the bar we found ourselves in this evening had that very one. Lagavulin 16 to be precise, so I ordered a glass. With his description of the peaty, smoky flavor, I was already expecting to love this guy. The bottle was very dignified and beautiful for sure, although my picture doesn't do it justice:


As I brought the glass to my nose, the smoky peat was obvious; I couldn't help but think of Talisker. The thought occurred to me that maybe many of these Scotches would have that bonfire flavor that I love, and maybe it was going to be hard to distinguish among them. As I swirled the whisky in my mouth to really
get to know it though, certain flavors seemed to set it a apart. Lagavulin's flavor is smoky, peaty, and truly the most like Talisker yet. However, after I added the water and sipped slowly, I realized it was more fiery. The nose was smoky, but spicier...almost like cinnamon. There also seemed to be a hint of bitterness to this one. That, ironically, also existed beside a sweeter note. The one credit I can give to this gentleman is that he was very complex.

Unfortunately, as the evening went on, what might have been sweetness became cloying. It didn't exactly taste sweet, but it felt thick and syrupy like sweet things often do. I don't know if this was due to his age (being older than others I've tried), but I soon realized that I didn't like it. In so many ways it reminded me of Talisker, but it was disappointingly, not as enjoyable. In fact, I barely wanted to finish the glass and would have been okay cutting the whole evening short, but I stayed to the finish to be respectful.

In the end, I was surprised by my disappointment; of all the Scotches I've tried so far, this is the only one I would refuse to see again. It's nothing personal - obviously he is a favorite to some, just not my style. I realize I'm comparing all of the whiskies I meet to my dear Talisker, and I wonder if I've embellished the memory of him and inadvertently created some false standard. Perhaps it is time I have another night with that one. Soon, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment