Monday, August 15, 2016

Oban 14

The bar I went to last night had only four single malts on their shelf, three of which I have already tried. The fourth one was Oban 14. I had heard about Oban, but hadn't yet had the pleasure of meeting him. It wasn't that crowded, and they had a good oldies playlist on, so I stayed to see what he was like. One of the songs was a classic by Otis Redding,
"Loving You Too Long."


The bartender, Cecilia, on hearing of my search for the perfect Scotch, started a conversation about dating and the difficulties that many people encounter in that realm. She told part of her story - how she had been through some hard times with romance, but was given an opportunity to take a break from things and really clear her head. This break allowed her to connect with what she wanted in a definite way. Soon after, the happy ending to her story came to be. Simple as that. I was grateful to hear this. It's nice to know that some folks can find partners they can truly love, and a love that can truly last.

I shared a bit of my story with her, and she told me not to give up - suggesting a focus on figuring out what I really want. I thanked her, knowing she was right. In life and in love knowing what you want is essential and empowering. What I want is to find the perfect Scotch...so I turned and introduced myself to the Oban 14.

He is from the West Highland region. His nose was gentle and sweet. I didn't find much difference before and after the water, but overall he was warm and light-humored. The sweetness of Oban reminded me of caramel and then later in the evening, a hint of chocolate. I still have a hard time finding much difference among the highland lads, but I think I'm starting to notice more. This one had a finish that brought to mind ash, which was a new taste to me.

The night continued, and I conversed with the bartender and my new friend in turn. The music and the mood of the bar fit well together, and I was enjoying it all - including the Oban. While there was much about him I liked, however, the ashy flavor made him seem like a smoker; that's never been the style for me. Bonfire smoke, I'll take every day, but tobacco - no thank you. I did like the light and seemingly jovial flavor to this one, but in the end I had to follow Cecilia's advice: the ash-like flavor is definitely not something that my perfect Scotch will have.

Overall it was a good night. I would spend time with Oban again, but strictly just as friends. I need to stay focused on finding the one that's right for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment