Monday, August 8, 2016

Something Good

Another salsa Sunday. This time my friend and I went to a cool little speakeasy-style bar before hand. The red light was on, so we knew it was open for us to go down. It was early and we were the only ones there. Their playlist was super chill, fitting for the mood. Here's a sample: Something Good

I was introduced to the bartender, Carrie, who I soon learned also has a love for Scotch. She, in turn, introduced me to one of her first loves of the whisky world - Auchentoshan 3 Wood.

As we chatted about the different types of Scotch we've both tried, I realized that all of their names flowed very easily off of her tongue. Inquiring more, I found out that she spent some time over in Scotland and got to know some of the lads I intend to meet. Hopefully she won't mind sharing her insights as I continue in my search.

Her knowledge, skill, and love of the bartending trade was obvious. It was very impressive. To further that, when it came time to taste the Auchentoshan, not only did this bar have the correct glass, they also had a dropper with filtered water for the tasting. This is the first bar I've been to thus far on my journey that offers a proper environment for really getting to know a fella. I was very grateful.


I brought the glass to my nose, allowing the 3 Wood to introduce himself. I sensed a bit of spice, a sweetness, and a gentleness. There was perhaps a hint of vanilla, but overall there was something I couldn't identify, enigmatic and alluring.

The drops of water (hat tip again to the bar) opened Auchentoshan up and I found him very interesting. In a lot of ways he reminded me of Macallan 12, but I reminded myself that I can't lump all of the non-smoky guys together.

As the evening went on, I did notice a slight suggestion of cinnamon among the spice, which I always welcome. He still had a bit of mystery to him - in the nose, and to the tongue there were flavors that I couldn't quite place, but felt certain were there. I suppose he was a bit shy, afterall.


I realize that I may have to have second evenings with some of these Scotches.

That's so like me; Unless I feel very strongly about it, I'll never want to write someone off before giving them a few chances, at least.

You can't always judge a whisky on your first experience with him.

It might be helpful to have them side by side one time, so I can really compare. Would that be rude?

I think this new bar is planning a tasting for the fall. If so, I will definitely come.

A room full of Scotches to meet and great conversation? Sounds like a party not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment