Saturday, August 20, 2016

Scapa

I'm in my hometown for a few days, visiting family and friends in Rocky Point, NY. Never being much of a bar hopper in my time here, I am unfamiliar with the scene, and wasn't sure where to go to taste a new Scotch. After calling around, I found out that Deks on 25A had several to offer, so that's where I went. A band was playing rockabilly style, soulful songs. The singer had an amazing voice, and the music was full of life. Here's a sampling of their stuff: The Vendettas


There is something soothing in having a familiar place to return to as the years go by, even if things change as time passes. I had a group of friends in high school who all became very close in our last year together. Through college, and after, we all went our separate ways, but for many years we continued to have reunions and make time to see each other.  We would gather and reminisce over the old days, while making new memories to bolster the bonds.  


Some stayed closer than others, and our friendships individually and collectively have waxed and waned through the years. I think deep in our hearts we consider each other family. Even if many months or even years pass at times, it is always nice to reconnect. I was able to meet up with one of these old friends tonight. He's not much into the whisky, but did give a local brew a try.


The Scotch selection at Deks is impressive for a small town bar, and I'm happy to know I have a place to go on my trips back home to meet new whiskies.



For this evening, I narrowed it down to three: I was especially intrigued by the middle bottle, but decided to go with the Scapa.

His nose was sweet and straightforward, and the first sip was spicy and sharp. After adding the drop of water, Scapa mellowed a bit, and seemed to relax and open up. He was light and fruity, and the sweetness remained, tasting of vanilla or honey. 

Rory the bartender and Scapa 12
Part of the reason I chose this one for tonight was on Rory the bartender's recommendation. She admittedly, is not a huge fan of Scotch,but there are a few that she can enjoy. Scapa is one of them.

This one is 12 years old, from the Orkney Isles. He was very enjoyable, easy going, sweet, and simple. As I sipped and tasted, trying to see what other flavors or notes might be there, I realized that sometimes there are no hidden agendas or multitude of layers and nuances. Sometimes what you taste is what is you get. This is the case with Scapa. There was no complexity to him, no mystery, no subterfuge. A very honest whisky, and the type I'd want to introduce to friends who are shy around Scotches. While it may be a while before we meet again, I am content with that. Perhaps this one is like an old friend, and although much time may pass between meetings, our time together is simply enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment