Sunday, September 11, 2016

Bowmore Tempest

A dear friend of mine gifted me with an Islay Scotch tasting sampler from Master of Malt. There are five separate individual drams - only one of which I've already tasted.


So this begins a short series in single-dram-bottle samplings. Quiet nights at home with the music, myself, and the Scotch-of-the-evening. Tonight the lucky fella was Bowmore Tempest - 10 year old - Batch 5. I'll admit the "Tempest" in the name is what got me on choosing him to be the first. 

I've been hearing a lot of great music lately that I've wanted to share, in case you haven't heard. Cozy up with your chosen dram and listen to Song for Zula by Phosphorescent:



The lyrics begin with talk of fire, as the first scent of Bowmore calls to mind - with the solid peat that reminds me of Talisker Storm. In the glass, Bowmore is a pretty golden color. As I took a moment to get to know his nose, I lost the sense of the smoky for a bit. There seemed to be an overtone of (dare I say it?) ... acetone.  Nail polish remover? That wasn't a hopeful first meeting thought. The scent also had a hint of sweetness as well, though. I swirled the glass, hoping the sweet smoke would drown out the more unpleasant associations, and I took my first sip.

Before he barely touched my tongue I tasted spice, and quickly after, a melt-in-my-mouth warmth that washed away all sense of anything else. Then the spicy hit again at the end. This was all before any water was added; after a few drops I didn't notice much change, although I tasted a creamy vanilla note. Adding a wee bit more water still didn't make a big difference, but the smoky scent and flavor seemed to return.

I found Bowmore to have a very clean finish, once the melting sensation was gone, not much was left to linger.  He reminded me of some of the other, stronger lads I've tried - Octomore and Corryvrecken. Bow isn't quite as strong as either of those, but at 55.9%, he comes very close.  As our conversation continued I found notes of pepper, and was distinctly aware of the ever-present heat of him.

I've heard that if you leave a Scotch sitting for a bit, it allows more of its flavors to come through...so I took my time with Bowmore, pausing for long stretches of time between sips to see what else might be revealed.



It's all so personal. The way we taste the flavors, of course, but the way we describe them as well, and so much of it is directly dependent on our mood. Just as a favorite Scotch might seem off-putting and unfamiliar in certain states of mind, so can an average one seem more alluring if the stars align and the setting is right.

I pondered these things as the music played and found myself quite enjoying the nuances of Bowmore. I found that his nose had a soft smoke:

Like coming upon the last embers on a beach walk, in the early morning at sunrise, - the sea-salt breeze playing cats cradle with the remnants of firesmoke from the night before - twirling it in and out of perception.  


There is a beautiful moment when something clicks. Often involving a comprehension of sorts - whether it be of a joke, a logical problem, or a physical or artistic endeavor that one has worked at mastering for years - this moment of settled clarity is truly awesome.

It can be as simple as the moment of having something on the tip of your tongue, just out of reach, and then finally recalling it. Or in writing, it can be the moment when you find the exact right word or phrase to describe what you are wanting to express.

And sometimes that moment is in the shift that happens when you have finally let go of something or someone that you had held on to for far too long. A spell is broken. Or a spell is cast. Whether the beginning or ending, once something clicks - it's rare that you can ever go back. Take a listen, and let B.B. King explain...


When I finished the dram of Bowmore, there was a taste of sweet salty smoke that remained. I've finally settled into identifying that certain flavor I have tasted as brine - or sea salt. It's a flavor note I love to have in my Scotch. 

Bowmore was lovely, but he wasn't my Talisker. A sweet Islay I would enjoy dancing with again, but lacking a certain depth and balance that I find in the Storm. And so the journey continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment