Monday, September 19, 2016

When Fallen Angels Fly

I was on a group retreat of sorts this weekend. We each had our own things we were working on, and different issues we hoped to gain some clarity on. There were, however, some common themes that ran through many of our journeys. One of these was the idea of brokenness. More specifically, the opportunity that can be found in our trials and tragedies for a breaking open - making room for growth or the chance to become something greater. 

The japanese art of kintsukuroi does just this, and it is a beloved metaphor for the alchemy of the heart. We can take what was is broken and lost within us and mend it with gold - becoming greater in value and more beautiful than before.

Patty Loveless sings here of Fallen angels and mended wings; if you can relate, break open a bottle and pour yourself a glass of golden elixir as I tell you of the tasting of Caol Ila 12.


My housemate and I had gone salsa dancing, and upon returning home decided to have a snack and some whisky. I introduced him to Talisker Storm since they hadn't met. For myself, I opened the second single-dram sample from the gift set my friend bought me.


Bringing the small bottle to my nose upon opening, I found that strong bacon smell, just like Talisker Storm had when I first met him. After pouring into the glass, the nose was softer with perhaps some fruity tones. The first sip and my immediate thought was silky. Caol Ila was smooth and hot; I was impressed.



Adding the water opened him up a bit, and I found him sweet and smoky, with a bit of briny flavor, and still so smooth. While I don't remember Talisker being smooth like that, in so many ways Caol reminded me of him. "Gosh," I thought to myself,  "if someone told me this was Talisker I was drinking, I would believe them."

As my housemate and I conversed over whisky and fruity-tasting avocado, the idea of "faking it till you make it" came up. He offered this nugget of wisdom:

"No one really knows how to do anything; we're all just faking it. But if you know how to start something, you have an advantage over most."


Is that true? Is that the key to succeeding at anything - just jumping in and figuring it out as you go? It may very well be. Something I've learned in life is that you need to set goals, and start down a path to reach them. Another thing I've learned is that life will almost always make that road shift, and you better be ready to change your goals.


It's a fine, faded, and sinuous line between which is the better quality on this journey - determination or flexibility.  And it's that very elusive line that life challenges us to travel on.

Something can seem so sure and real and lasting, and then we come around a bend, and our entire perspective has shifted. What seemed entirely un-doubtable becomes suddenly that, and as the small cracks form in our faith, our confidence, and our resolve...we have a choice.

Do we leave the broken dreams there in the dust, or do we carry on with them, and fill the cracks with gold?


I'm not ready to move on from Talisker quite yet, but as I more frequently am finding Scotches that I want to explore further, I realize part of his mystique is being challenged. I at least need to taste these two side by side; the similarities to me are too close. Talisker was right there, and I could have done it then, but since this was my first meeting with Caol, it didn't feel right. I think Talisker has more of sarcastic bite to him - Caol is probably smoother, and Talisker may be a little deeper in complexity, but I'm not entirely sure which of the two I would prefer. 
 
It's been a while since I bought a bottle to take home with me, but this one is next in line for sure. One step at a time on this journey, and I'll see where it takes me.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you talk about scotch like it's a new friend. I talk to my food, why not my drinks too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun. It must be an empath thing. ;)

      Delete