Monday, June 13, 2016

Macallan 12

This morning I heard an old Waterboys song that I've always loved. It reminded me of a moment with an old flame...

On a beautiful late spring afternoon, we were playing frisbee and drinking beer, celebrating and enjoying life, and graciously ignoring the not-so-quiet hum of swan song in the air. We were laughing and having a great time as usual, when I noticed a streak of rainbow in the sky behind him. I pointed and shouted, "Look, a Rainbow!" (as I do) because I love rainbows and always want to share the gift of their momentary beauty with all in the vicinity.

He turned to look at it, and then turned back. He said to me, in almost confused surprise, "it's short!"










And that right there is a quintessential distillation of our relationship and the reason why it ended.


Speaking of distillation, I'd like to tell you about a new single malt I tried tonight. Here's the song from this morning: The Whole of the Moon. Take a listen, if you will, and go ahead and pour yourself a glass of the best of what's around while you're at it. Enjoy the music and the drink, and perhaps you will stumble on an appreciation for life's short & sweet beauties while I tell you about Macallan 12.

I bought a small bottle of this Scotch today, and happened upon some friends in the courtyard that were interested to try. I brought out both the Macallan and my beloved Talisker Storm to introduce them to my friends.

The main thing I notice about the Macallan 12, is that he is just so easy to get along with! Quite a gentleman: smooth, inviting, sophisticated, easy to have a conversation with. Gentle, but with just enough spice to keep me interested. He has a very demure nose, which I am certain is part of the charm. He doesn't impose his story onto you; he waits until you are interested, and then begins to share his tale.




One of the women in the courtyard had referred to Macallan as the quintessential Scotch - having all the things you expect a good single malt to have. I can see that. Although, I miss the smokiness of my Talisker so I would't say it has *all* the elements, but I see her point.

The Macallan is intriguing. I find myself wanting to keep talking with him because I feel there is something that remains hidden. Although I feel that he might turn out to be a bit too reserved for my tastes, I will definitely dance with this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment