Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Sailor's Wife

I'm going to Ireland next week. You may be surprised to hear that it is not Scotland, but Ireland that is my favorite country; in truth, I've only been to Scotland once, so one might say that it is still unknown to me. Perhaps that's why I've come to find the whisky of that land that so alluring...

GLENMORANGIE 10
I went to a music session at the local Irish pub last night and decided to see what Scotches they had to offer.  Of the few choices, I picked Glenmorangie 10. He was sweet and kind at first taste. After adding a drop of water, some rougher notes appeared, as they inevitably do, but didn't really take away from the gentle, easy style of this Scotch.

I arrived at the session when it was in full swing, and it was a great turnout. Folks had to leave as the night went on, but a handful stayed till the end. One of the whistle players offered this tune to us:             The Sailor's Wife

It seemed familiar, and had an adventurous explorer feel to it. I couldn't place it though, and then was delightfully surprised when he told me it was on an episode of a famous short-lived sci-fi series adored by many, myself included.

As I sipped my Scotch, I thought of my day and recent frustrations that were on my mind. The creamy and fruity notes of Glenmorangie were comforting. A very upbeat, yet down-to-earth Scotch. Conversation turned to the trip ahead, and my thoughts shifted to the exploring adventures that might be in store for myself...





I did find my mind wandering back to the Talisker Storm, but I stand firm in my decision to give others a chance. We had a lovely time, really, the Glenmorangie and I.  The pub soon was closing, and it was time to pay our tabs and leave.  Overall, I'd say this is a nice, easy Scotch to have along for tune listening, and if someone else was buying, I'd do it again. At this point, it's not one I'd want to take home with me, but I might bring him to a party.


No comments:

Post a Comment