Sunday, June 26, 2016

Farewell to Erin

In La Coruña (the northwestern part of Spain), there is a tower called Torre de Hercules. On the ground near this tower is a mysterious circle divided into 8 sections, each corresponding to one of the Celtic nations. I've never really been able to get much info on it, but as a lover of Celtic culture, it has always intrigued me. Some of the Celtic nations are known and obvious: Scotland, Ireland, Wales...but there is also the Isle of Mann, A Coruña, Brittany, and Cornwall. The eighth and most mysterious is Asturias, another region of Spain. The symbol on the circle at the Torre de Hercules for Asturias is a skull, but I have never been able to find out what this means or why it is their symbol.

One thing is for certain though, the Celtic nations must have a shared history. Part of their culture remains strongly rooted in a common thread that binds them all, somehow, still today. On this trip in Ireland we have been surrounded by the traditional music; we've learned tunes, songs, and dance; we've hiked the landscape and stood on the shore. Too soon, it is time to say goodbye. One of the tunes I learned is Farewell to Erin, which is poignantly fitting. Even more so, the video I found for this tune was recorded in Asturias. This reminds me yet again, of the ties between all the Celtic lands, and I savor this as I taste a true single malt, of the Irish whiskey variety: Connemara Peated Single Malt.


It has smoky nose that I have missed, and an earthy taste that reminds of Talisker. I am beginning to recognize this flavor as peat, and I think of the bogs here that we visited, and of the traditional way of hand cutting the peat that keeps the land alive. There is something else about this lad though - a touch of something...perhaps just more Irish. Adding a drop of water definitely opened up the whisky but seemed to take away some of the smokiness. This lightened him up a bit too, perhaps a mischievous spirit I am sensing? That other flavor is still there though, like a bit of sweetness, but grounded. Gentle and real...I like this one.

Connemara Peated I will definitely meet again, and although I will return to the Scotches, I'll keep this Irish lad in my mind for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment