Thursday, June 16, 2016

When in Éireann...




Leafing through the Aer Lingus magazine I found this ad for Redbreast Single Pot Still Irish Whisky. "Discover what all the hush is about." I suppose it was meant to imply that it was so good that those in the know wanted to keep the secret...but it just seemed like a desperate marketing ploy to me. I wondered what a whisky drinker would say about this description... 

Even though my search is for the perfect Scotch, being in Ireland limits my Scotch choices while offering a myriad of Irish whiskies that I may never see on my side of the Atlantic, so I decided to live dangerously and switch up the game for my fortnight here.

The first leg of our journey was in Ennis. I asked a bartender at O'Connell's pub what he thought of the Redbreast. He said it was fairly good, mentioning its smooth character and easy drinkability. He was assuming, I think, that those were the traits I was looking for - something very simple and sweet. He also said it had a good flavor though, so I decided to give it a go.

When we first arrived in Ennis we were able to catch an awesome group of musicians playing tunes at the Clare museum. One of the lads sung a haunting song I had never heard before called "Foreign Lander." The group singing is Socks in the Frying Pan, and the link is them, but a different performance. Have a listen and get a taste of the Emerald Isle...

 Later that evening we went to a great session at Cruises pub and the bartender there seemed to know her stuff. She refused to pour me a glass of whisky until I promised not to pour more than a tiniest wee bit of water into it, so I ordered a glass.

This Irish Whisky is called a "Single Pot" which I thought meant single malt, but I later found out that isn't the case. In many ways, the Redbreast reminded me of Macallan: it was unassuming, had a mild nose, and did indeed seem very drinkable. It was sweeter than all the others thus far though; tasted of vanilla, and a hint of licorice. He seemed playful - a little immature, but not in a bad way.

I was feeling a bit lonely and found him a perfect companion, really, to lift my spirits a bit so I could fully enjoy the moment. Mighty tunes, in a brilliant pub, in a lovely town, in my favorite country. The ultimate craic. The night was flowing along wonderfully for a bit but it did not last; I was chatting away with a few of my friends and fellow Irish musicians when all of a sudden the bartender swooped in to clear our empties, and she stacked a glass on top of my not-quite-finished fella and whisked it away. Quick as lightning I snatched her hand to stop her. I was quite in shock and very appalled that she would so rudely interrupt my date in this way - not even inquiring as to whether or not we were done. I was able to salvage the remaining whisky and enjoy it, but this interruption did ruin the feel of things a bit. I can't blame it on the Redbreast, but there it is. In the future, even if I stray from the Scotch, I definitely need to at least make sure my whisky is single... 


No comments:

Post a Comment